Since its launch in 2016, TikTok has grown to become the sixth most popular social channel worldwide. When choosing the channels to speak with your target audience, TikTok is now a serious contender. In this post, we look at our favorite stats about TikTok, which should help you understand which social channels to use in 2022.
It's big, and it is still growingThe main aim for you as a personal trainer is to make sure you're reaching the right people, in the right place, at the right time. It's important to choose the social channels that tick the boxes you need to get in front of your target audience.
For two years in a row, TikTok has been the most downloaded app worldwide. It was downloaded 68 million times in 2021. Covid has helped TikTok, but it has started to become the app of choice for a more creative audience:
- The most downloaded app of 2021, and 2020
- 1 Billion Active users worldwide
Demographics of TikTokWith such a broad spread of age groups - which is rare on social media channels, TikTok gives you a great opportunity to get in front of potential clients if your target audience is under 50.
- Ages 10-19 are 25% of users.
- Ages 20-29 are 22.4% of users.
- Ages 30-39 are 21.7% of users.
- Ages 40-49 are 20.3% of users.
- Ages 50+ are 11% of users.
Demographic data is important for your PT business because, as a business owner you're way too busy to waste time on a channel where your customers do not hang out.
If for example, you are targeting GenZ customers, TikTok could be your channel of choice. The social channel now has more GenZ users than Instagram.
Engagement is highSince 2020, the number of people using TikTok every month has grown by 32%. When it first started it had a much younger audience, but despite its reputation of only being for young people, engagement has grown the most among Gen X and baby boomers. In 2022 we recommend including TikTok in your social media plans. Want to find out more about TikTok, check out the top 10 TikTok Fitness Influencers to inspire personal trainers.
- The highest performing videos are between 21 and 34 seconds long
- The average user session length is 10.85 minutes Click here which makes it best in class when it comes to social engagement
TikTok users are happy to spend moneySome use social channels for business (LinkedIn), and some to find out what is happening in the world (Twitter). TikTok could be a perfect match for your personal training business because people who use TikTok are more likely to become a customer, and spend money.
- TikTok is the top app for consumer spend
- 67% of users say TikTok inspires them to shop— even when they weren’t planning to do so
- 25% of TikTok users say that they purchase or research a product after watching TikTok
- 52% of users say they search for products or shop on the platform
Focused usersResearch by Kantar looked at the way people use, engage with, and spend their time on the platform.
- 35% of TikTok users say they spend less time watching TV or video content since they started using the platform
- 46% of TikTok users engage with TikTok’s content without any other distractions
TikTok users want to shareAs we mentioned in our post on the latest social media trends for personal trainers in 2022, short-form video is still popular, Aim to keep these short, as people tend to lose interest after 15 - 20 seconds. Feel free to increase content time once people are familiar with your brand.
- 92% of users say that after watching a TikTok they take action, such as liking/ commenting on a video, sharing with friends, or purchasing/ researching a product
- 67% are sharing videos
Finally, we like the way that TikTok is just slightly different from other social channels, the mobile-first, short video, and instant format make the content on the channel unique, relevant, and unexpected. Sign up and give it a try today, check out our “How to get Started on TikTok” blog to get a better understanding of how you can use the platform to help your business.